There is no avoiding it. Americans are aging faster and faster. We already have 35% of our population over age 65. The baby boomers-those born between January 1at 1946 and December 31st 1964 started retiring in 2011. The Pew Research Center estimates that 10,000 boomers will retire EACH DAY for the next 19 YEARS!. That being the case the place to be is in the drug and health care field.
The new health care program will require more doctors, nurses and specialists in all health related fields. All kinds of life threatening diseases are on the rise simply due to old age. As a result we have a new, dynamic industry growing my leaps and bounds. The companies that make up this segment are quite different from the “one medication fits all” approach. They are specialists that focus on a particular disorder using the latest biochemical research and technology.
Some use this new knowledge to find innovative ways to treat existing diseases. Others are moving into new uncharted areas such as paid relief, drug addiction and post- operative medications.
Some companies are easily recognized. Others are so new that you may never have heard of them. Some have very small market capitalizations. This list describes the companies that have had the most spectacular price rises. Many are prime take over targets.
· Galecton Therapeutics (GALT) Recent Price $10.43. 52 Week High/Low is $13.60/$1.60. EPS -.76. Market Cap. 169.49 million.
Galecton develops new therapies for fibrotic diseases and cancer. It uses carbohydrate technology that targets galecton proteins, the key mediators of biologist and pathologic functions.
· Lannett Company (LCI) Recent Price $21.40. 52 Week High/Low is $21.47/$3.93. EPS .43. Price Earnings Ratio 47.33 Market Cap. 613,75 million.
Lannett manufacturers and distributes pharmaceutical products under generic names and manufacturers products sold under trade or brand names. It also contracts with other companies for the manufacture of private label pharmaceuticals.
· NPS Pharmaceuticals (NPSP) Recent Price $32.38. 52 Week High/Low is $33.69/$7.35. EPS -.33 Market Cap 3.25 billion.
NPS discovers and develops orally active small molecule drugs that target surface receptors and ion channels. The drugs are aimed at treatments for strokes, head traumatic chronic pain and epilepsy.
· Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners (CPRX) Recent Price $3.23. 52 Week High/Low is $3,25/$.37. EPS $.19. Market Cap. 133.79 million.
Catalyst develops and commercializes prescription drugs for treating addiction and obsessive/compulsive disorders. It has exclusive worldwide use of vigabtrin from the Brookhaven National Laboratory. In addition, the company has fast track approval from the FDA for a drug to treat cocaine addiction.
· Aceirx Pharmaceutical (ACRX) Recent Price $10.59 52 Week High/Low is $13.50/$2.27. EPS -$1.35. Market Cap. 394.48 million.
Aceirx is a specialty pharmaceutical company that develops and commercializes therapies for the treatment of pain. It also has a drug for the treatment of cancer breakthrough pain and drugs for mild sedation, anxiety reduction and for painful procedures in doctor’s offices.
· Pacira Pharmaceuticals (PCRX) Recent Price $47.47. 52 Week High/Low is $49.45/$15.07. EPS -$2.02 Market Cap 1.57 billion.
Pacira develops, commercializes and manufactures proprietary “Depo Foam” used in hospital ambulatory service centers.
· Mannatech Inc. (MTEX) Recent Price $24.05. 52 Week High/Low is $35.00/$4.77. EPS $1.47 Price Earnings Ratio 17.34 Market Cap. 63.73 million.
Mannaaech provides wellness solutions and sells its products through a global network in the US Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Japan and New Zealand.
· Tesaro Inc. (TSRO) Recent Price $39.44. 52 Week High/Low is $51.95/$13.83. EPS -$2.51 Market Cap. 1.28 billion.
Tesaro is an oncology focused biopharmaceuticals company for cancer patients who suffer nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy.
Questor Pharmaceuticals (QCOR) Recent Price $56.90. 52 Week High/Low is $74.78/$17.69. EPS is $3.89 Price Earnings Ratio is 14.80 Market Cap is 3.39 billion.
· Questor’s focus is on acquisitions and marketing of innovative acute care hospital specialty pharmaceutical products.
· Santarus (SNTS) Recent Price $22.87. 52 Week High/Low is $28.10/$8.47. EPS $.72 Price Earnings Ratio is 31.92. Market Cap 1.48 billion.
Santarus is a specialty pharmaceutical company that develops and markets proprietary products for the treatment of gastrointestinal disease an disorders.
The above discussion is neither a recommendation to buy nor to sell these securities. You must always do your own diligent research.