We often tend to narrow our focus on key stocks that make up the Dow Jones Index, the S & P and the Nasdaq. However, we find some growing, unheard of companies that have seen spectacular growth over the past year. Each week Barcharts.com publishes their list to the top 100 stocks. It is a good starting point for investors who want to diversify their portfolios with some newer start- ups and some established companies that have a niche market.
This list will get you started but there are many more to choose from. They are not ranked in order of priority. Instead, they cross various sectors.
1. Trovagene Inc. (TROV) is a biopharmaceutical company with patented technology using Transrenal DNA technology. Simply stated, they use urine samples for a variety of conditions including prenatal testing, tumor detection. monitoring tissue transplantation, and infectious disease detection. They also have protocols used in forensic identification and drug testing. They are engaged in research to counter bio terrorism.
Recent share price is $10.02. The 52- week high and low is $10.20 and .$2.09
2. Canadian Solar Inc. (CSIQ) covers a wide spectrum of products in the solar industry. They include, ingots, wafers, cells and modules for on and off grid use. In addition they manufacture specialty solar modules that power bus stop lighting, portable solar home systems and solar car battery chargers. Their business is spread across North America, Europe and Asia. Current share price is $14.11. The 52-week high and low is $15.10 and $1.95.
3. Mgic Investment Corp. (MTG). This company is a subsidiary of Mortgage Guarantee Insurance Corp. The parent company provides the largest private mortgage insurance coverage in the US. Their largest business segment covers residential mortgages from lenders that accept less than 20% down payments. In case of defaults, the company reduces or eliminates the loss to the named institution. Current share price is $8.04. The 52-week high and low is $8.16 and .66 cents.
4. Tesla Motors (TSLA). We did a company profile earlier this year with the stock trading near $40.00. The current share price is $138.00. The 52-week high and low is $138.35 and $26.74. Tesla designs, manufacturers and sells electric vehicles, electric vehicle power trains and components.
5.Entravision Communication Corp. (EUC). This is an example of a niche media company that delivers radio, outdoor and publishing operation to Hispanic customers in the US. It owns Univision affiliates in 17 of the top 50 Hispanic markets. In addition it has the largest programmed Spanish language radio network. Current share price is $6.52. The 52-week high and low is $7.27 and $1.10.
6. Aegerion Pharmaceuticals (AEGR) is a biopharmaceutical company. Here again we find a company specializing in therapeutics to treat lipid disorders. They produce two key drugs, Lamitapide and Imptapide. Both are molecular drugs that target specific disorders. Lamitapide treats lipid disorders. Imptapide treats hypertriglyceridemia. Current share price is $92.68. The 52-week high and low is $97.46 and $12.86.
7. Arcadia Pharmaceuticals (ACAD) is another specialty drug company engaged in the discovery, development and commercialization of small molecule drugs. Currently, they have drugs for Parkinson’s disease and schizophrenia. Current share price is $20.41.The 52-week high and low is $20.75 and $1.50.
These are not recommendations to buy or sell these stocks. You must do additional research to get forward looking projections and potential growth estimates.